Increasing consumer demand for safe food has led many companies to develop food quality management systems and food safety compliance management systems, based on the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) approach. In 2001, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) started the development of a management standard for the food industry, building on HACCP’s role in food safety management systems.
This resulted in the ISO 22000:2005 standard, which defines food safety management requirements for companies that need to meet and exceed global food safety regulations. The standard shares a common approach with other management systems including ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 which benefits creating an integrated management system.
ISO 22000:2005 outlines the Food Safety Management System Requirements for any organization in the food chain, and is one of a family of standards focused on the development, implementation, and improvement of a food safety management system.Benefits of implementing ISO 22000:2005 include:
- Demonstrates commitment to customer satisfaction
- Tests compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and your own systems through internal audits and management reviews
- Improves your organization’s image
- Requires regular testing of data integrity/lot recall programs and process audits
Who should certify to ISO 22000:2005?
Since ISO 22000 is a generic food safety management standard it can be used by any organization directly or indirectly involved in the food chain including – farms, fisheries, dairies, meat processors, manufacturers of soups, snacks, bread, cereal, beverages, canned and frozen food, etc as well as food service providers such as restaurants, fast food chains, hospitals and hotels.
Supporting services are also important, including providers of food transportation, storage, and distribution, catering services, product suppliers for equipment, additives, raw materials, cleaning and sanitizing products and packaging. If your products touch the food industry or the food we eat, part or all of the ISO 22000 requirements will apply.
QMS Global’s Services
- Certification – We provide assessment and certification to ISO 22000 and HACCP.
- Gap Analysis – We offer gap analysis and preliminary assessments to prepare you for certification.
- Training – We will help you interpret the concepts and understand the impact on your organization.
- QMS Global provides on-site introduction and internal audit training which will prepare you and your staff prior to and after the ISO 22000 or HACCP certification process.